NFW is a circularity platform for plastic-free performance materials. NFW follows three Ground Rules in everything we develop: start well, stay clean, end well. While nearly everything in the built world relies on some type of plastic that began as crude oil and that will become plastic pollution, we are establishing a new material reality. We believe all materials should begin and end as nutrients, ready for the next growth cycle—true circularity.
Our multi-material platform serves a wide range of industries—from fashion and footwear to automotive and upholstery. NFW technology embeds seamlessly into existing supply chains, enabling the world’s most iconic brands to design and scale products with high-performance, plastic-free materials. NFW makes global brands more sustainable, empowering them to create without plastics. Alongside the boldest brands and visionary designers, we are pioneering a naturally circular, post-oil economy.
NFW is a company of trailblazers, innovators and bold thinkers, committed to reinventing the way things are made. We never stop learning. We are fiercely curious about the world and how to improve it for everyone. We offer competitive salary, paid vacation and sick time, flexible work-life balance, great colleagues and more!
Sr. Chemical Engineer
The Senior Chemical Engineer will help bring new products to the market across a wide set of markets and applications. This role will oversee the development of internal capabilities and build external partnerships in making our proprietary Mirum™ intermediates as we scale.
Essential Job Functions:
Work with the Mirum development and production teams to:
- Manage engineering projects related to intermediates or chemical processes
- Oversee expansion of both internal and external capabilities in curative and resin production.
- Oversee, lead, and maintain Process Hazard Analysis on existing and future equipment.
- Review existing and future process designs to ensure compliance with local and national health and safety regulations.
- Optimize production methods to improve throughput and material utilization.
- Work with the futures team, product development team, and the quality team to bring online additional testing capabilities that characterize curative and resin intermediates and final products.
- Source and coordinate installation of production equipment - including heating systems, solvent recovery systems, fluid handling systems, reactors, ovens, and mixing systems.
- Document results and provide conclusions & recommendations.
- Mentor junior engineers and help train/supervise interns and technicians as needed.
- Required, Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering or related field
- 6+ years of industry experience
- Preferred, previous industry experience in process engineering and scale-up
- Familiar with NFPA and OSHA codes and regulations
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills
- A start-up mentality as well as the ability to wear multiple hats
- Fluency in office productivity tools (Microsoft 365)
- Attention to detail
- Works well with others
- Experience in experimental design and results analysis
- Written and conversational fluency in English
- Ability to mentor junior engineers, interns and technicians who will assist in some job duties
- Ability to pursue lab experiments with limited guidance and relate results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Meticulous attention to detail is mandatory
- Ability to work on a team as well as independently
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret data
- Ability to adapt to ongoing change
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent talking, hearing and seeing
- Frequent using of hands to grasp, handle, or feel
- Regular standing, walking, sitting and reaching
- Occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds
- Primarily operates in office and manufacturing environments
- Much of the work is performed in a shop environment where it may be loud, dusty, hot or cold
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers.
- Regularly required to use personal protective equipment
- Travel of up to 40% may be required during partner development activities
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Company is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive team in which members of all backgrounds can contribute and thrive. In compliance with state and federal law, the Company does not discriminate in employment or administration of its programs and policies on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, or military service. Our policy reflects and affirms the Company’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all unlawful discriminatory practices.